Monday 13 December 2010

Wellington Shops and Market Open Day



The Wellington Shops and Market Open Day was on the 11th December at Wellington Library. Many people attended the event viewing displays of old photographs, adverts, maps and the memories collceted so far. Many visitors also contributed their own memories and photographs to the project.


I moved to Wellington from the south thirty years ago, I went to a fish and chip in town and ordered fish chips and peas, they were mushy peas! I had never seen mushy peas before!

Perks used to sell the most wonderfull cheese ! they were in the square.

My first job was at Chad Vally, working right at the top of the building where the round window was. I used to stuff teddy bears, i met Harry Corbett as we made Sooty there.

My mom used to send me into Wellington on a Saturday afternoon to Terry Heaths cake shop and get a bag of mixed cakes for 2/6.

I remember living at 16 Glege St, a cottage with no water inside the house, and water being put inside by Jack Pointon. It was one tap, cold water and a sink !

I loved going to Cottons Ironmongers on New Street, not sure whatever happened to it.

My earliest memory of the shops and markets in Wellington is from the post war years , travelling into town from Aquaduct with my mother on the midland red bus and queing at shops such as Espleys in New Street.

I used to get my school uniform for Coalbrookdale High School from Norman Jellymans. Later in life living on the Brooklands Estate from 1966 to 1973 we did most of our shopping in the excellent variety of shops



1 comment:

  1. hi my name is phil woodley (taylor)i worked in the butchers when it was stan onions as an apprentice in 1971 then when it closed i went to work for baxters down the street happy days

    ReplyDelete